Fabulous Freeware Replacements For Popular Commercial Applications – Spyware and Adware Free
- AVIcodec – Gives the codecs needed to play the file, and where to download those codecs if they are missing on your system.
- DVD Shrink – DVD Shrink is software to backup DVD discs
- MovieTrack – a freeware dvd database and general movie collection organizer, for Windows.
- TMPGEnc – converts .AVI file to MPEG1, the format which is used in VideoCD. Using variety of option in TMPGEnc, you can compress your video file in high quality.
- VLC – Stream DVDs and Videos over a network
- VirtualDub – VirtualDub is a video capture/processing utility for 32-bit Windows platforms (95/98/ME/NT4/2000/XP)”
CD & DVD Applications
- AudioGrabber – audio CD ripper – Current Resident
- CDex – a CD ripper and converter for Windows
- Deep Burner – “A CD/DVD burning software that lets you create Data Cds, Bootable CDs, and Audio CDs as well as data DVDs. In addition, it lets you burn ISO files, and create ISO images. Also lets you design an auto start menu to launch documents or programs from the CD”
- DeepRipper – can convert music files from AudioCDs into practically any format you’d like, including: MP3, WAV, OGG, and others.
- Exact Audio Copy – CD ripper
- TagMaster – lets you edit the ID3 tag in MP3 files, which contains information like the name of the artist, song, album, etc.
Graphics Design & Editing
- @icon sushi – “@icon sushi is an icon convert tool that supports the mask editor and the creation of Windows XP 32bit icons.”
- Avery Design Pro Limited – Customize and print professional looking labels, cards, dividers and more in minutes.
- BatchRename – allows you rename all files or all image files in a folder, batch change extensions, and will automatically number each item in a series.
- Blender – the open source software for 3D modeling, animation, rendering, post-production, interactive creation and playback.
- Dogwaffle – “A program designed for creative individuals who want to get down and dirty with their pixels.”
- Dup Detector – will scan pictures within a file (including subfolders) and present potential duplicates for deletion.
- Easy Thumbnails – can resize your pictures physically either larger or smaller, or you can keep the physical size and downgrade the quality
- FastStone Image Viewer – An image browser, converter and editor that supports all major graphic formats including BMP, JPEG, JPEG 2000, GIF, PNG, PCX, TIFF, WMF, ICO and TGA.
- Gimp – ” GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.”
- Icon Snatcher – “This one can pull icons from your own files to use to customize your folders.”
- ImageForge – Create and edit images, acquire pictures from your scanner, digital camera or other Twain-compliant device, apply special effect filters, produce your own photo albums and simple slide shows, and much more.
- Image Resizer – gives you the ability to resize an image/picture in 2 clicks, by adding the option to the Context Menu.
- Inkscape – an Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, Freehand, CorelDraw, or Xara X using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format. A powerful and convenient drawing tool fully compliant with XML, SVG, and CSS standards.
- IrfanView – “IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003.”
- Paint.NET – image and photo manipulation software designed to be used on computers that run Windows 2000, XP, Vista, or Server 2003. It supports layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools.
- PhotoPlus 6 – image editing software that enables you to create, manipulate and enhance photographs, bitmap graphics and web animations. (Free Registration Required)
- Pixia -“Pixia is the English version of a popular Japanese painting and retouch software for full color graphics. It supports mask, layer and many other editing functions.”
- Terragen – a scenery generator, created with the goal of generating photorealistic landscape images and animations.
- Xnview – you can quickly and easily view, process and convert image files. Will read more than 400 graphic file formats, and write to about 50. Will also display video formats. Also offers more advanced features such as Web page creation, contact prints, multiple conversion (format and transformation), slide shows, screen capturing and Twain support for scanners and digital cameras.
- Abiword – Free word processor that can open and edit OpenOffice, Word, Rich Text Format, HTML, Wordperfect documents, Palm, web pages and many more
- CutePDF – Create PDF Documents
- Foxit PDF Reader – You can view and print PDF documents. No installation required.
- Open Office – Free Microsoft Office alternative. Has the ability to open most mainstream document types and edit them.
- PDF Creator – Freeware PDF creation through any Windows based program.
- PDFill PDF Writer – a PDF Writer, Printer or Converter.
- Wink – A presentation program designed to make tutorials on how to use software. Can export these tutorials in Flash, EXE, and HTML.
- Rainlendar – Desktop calender for Windows, that’s skinnable and able to synchronize with M$ Outlook’s calender so you may see what your appointments are, without opening Outlook.
- Sunbird – Calendar program
File Compression and Archiving
- 7-Zip – a file archiver with high compression ratio.
- IZArc – File compression utility that supports most standard compression formats.
- WinRAR – click on the downloads tab and download the trial version (not the beta). You can use the full functionality forever.
- ZipGenius – A nice archiving tool. It handles zip, rar and many others.
Time & Weather
- Atomic TimeSync – synchronize your system clock with the NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology).
- ClocX – An analog clock application for Microsoft Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003.
- ForecastFox – “This great little extension allows you to set it up so you can always view your local forecast in your Firefox Browser itself. The forecasts come straight from the Weather Channel’s website.”
- SysMetrix – Highly customizable, and skinnable clock. Can be customized to monitor the weather, your e-mail, cpu, memory usage and many other things, in addition to the time.
- Weather Pulse – A weather application
- WebTime2000 – WebTime 2000 is a small utility program that will synchronize your PC’s internal clock with one of the several atomic clocks maintained by the United States National Institute of Standards and Technology.
- Active@ KillDisk – powerful and compact DOS software that allows you to destroy all data on hard and floppy drives completely, excluding any possibility of future recovery of deleted files and folders.
- AM-DeadLink – detects dead links and duplicates in your Browser Bookmarks. Checks Bookmarks from Internet Explorer, Opera, Mozilla and Netscape.
- Clipboard Buddy – a clipboard cache program that remembers what was copied to the clipboard even after new data is copied, and allows you to retrieve the old data.
- Convert – an easy to use unit conversion program that will convert the most popular units of distance, temperature, volume, time, speed, mass, power, density, pressure, energy and many others, including the ability to create custom conversions.
- Fass – a forum post editor & automated post generator. It also has a “Post Preview” feature, which shows your post as it will appear on forums. Designed for use with Invision Power Board, compatible with most forum software.
- HandyNotes – a small software program, that makes it easy to keep all your notes organized, in one easily accessible place.
- Magical Jellybean Keyfinder – a utility that retrieves your Product Key (cd key) used to install windows from your registry. It has the options to copy the key to clipboard, save it to a text file, or print it for safekeeping.
- MyUninstaller – Free app to remove entries from your Add/Remove Programs list.
- Netstat Live – a small, easy to use TCP/IP protocol monitor which can be used to see your exact throughput on both incoming and outgoing data – whether you’re using a modem, cable modem, DSL, or even local network. Will also graph the CPU usage of your system.
- Pow – trainable, popup blocker for Internet Explorer.
- Process Explorer – shows you information about which handles and DLLs processes have opened or loaded.
- RealVNC – makes it possible to view, and fully-interact with, one computer from any other computer, or mobile device, anywhere on the Internet.
- Snap Backup – The One-Click Backup Utility that makes it simple to protect your important work.
- SpeeDefrag 3 – a program, which restarts your computer and runs only defrag.exe with optimized windows settings.
- Startup Inspector for Windows – helps both novice and expert user manage Windows® startup applications.
- Total Uninstall – can help you to monitor any changes that were made to your system during installation of a new software product and allow you to perform a complete uninstall without having to rely on the supplied uninstall program (which may leave files or changes behind).(last freeware version)
- TweakUI – This PowerToy gives you access to system settings that are not exposed in the Windows XP default user interface, including mouse settings, Explorer settings, taskbar settings, and more.
- WinKey – create keyboard shortcuts to access your favorite programs, documents, and files. Once you’ve made a shortcut, simply press your desired key combination to launch your program. This tool supports up to 200 key assignments.
Screen Capture Applications
- Capture – a screen capture utility for Windows (and NT), which allows you to capture the active window, or the entire screen, at any color depth and resolution, and save it into a Bitmap file for editing.
- Gadwin Print Screen – an easy to use utility, that allows you to capture any portion of the screen, save it to a file, copy it to Windows clipboard, print it or e-mail it to a recipient of your choice.
- Screenhunter – screen capture tool for you to easily take screenshots.
- ScreenPrint32 – allows you to print, and/or capture to disk, or clipboard, the full desktop, active window, predefined area, or user selected area of the screen.
Windows Desktop Customization
- BootSkin – “These two are the full version and never expire, but are unsupported by the company. The bootskin will not work on every computer, from their literature; “Some drivers and bios makers “break the rules” which can cause BootSkin to not work correctly. If you experience that, you can try these alternative versions:”
- Iconoid – Iconoid is a small program that helps reduce the clutter and confusion of the Windows desktop.
- Logon Studio – Never expires
- ObjectDock – Limited functionality but never expires.
- WindowsBlinds – Limited functionality but never expires.
- GAIM – a multi-protocol instant messaging (IM) client for Linux, BSD, MacOS X, and Windows.
- Trillian –
HTML & CSS Editors
- 1st Page 2000 – HTML Editor
- HTML- Kit – HTML Editor
- Notepad++ – a free source code editor which supports several programming languages running under the MS Windows environment.
- NVU – WYSIWYG HTML Editor
- Selida – HTML/WYSIWYG Editor
- Sothink HTML Editor – HTML Editor (Can only edit one page at a time)
- Topstyle Lite – CSS Editor
- WYSIWYG Web Builder – HTML Editor
- ewisoft – Website creation tool.
- Internet Explorer Developer Toolbar – provides a variety of tools for quickly creating, understanding, and troubleshooting Web pages.
- Jalbum – “This one is pretty cool for making photo layouts for your website.”
- SiteGenWiz –
- WindowSizer – Sets a given window to an exact size in pixels. Useful for web developers who want to see what their site will look like at various resolutions.
File Transfer Programs
- BlazeFTP – FTP Client
- FileZilla Client & Server – FTP Client and Server
- FTP Surfer – FTP client
- Leech FTP – FTP client
- SmartFTP – FTP Client
- WinSCP – A secure FTP Program and Secure Copy Program for use with SSH
Programming Languages & IDE/Editors
- Bloodshed Dev-C++ – An excellent C/C++ IDE
- phpEdit – PHP IDE
- Visual Studio 2005 Express Products – This includes Visual Basic, Visual C#, Visual C++, Visual J#, SQL Server, and Visual Web Dev. Free, if downloaded by November 7th 2006.
- Putty – Telnet and SSH Client
- a² Free – a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. a² fills this gap.” – tg911
- Ewido Security Suite – removes Trojans, Worms, Dialers, Hijackers, Spyware and Keyloggers.
Spyware Removal –
- IE-Spyad –
- Spybot – Search & Destroy
- Spywareblaster – prevents spyware from being installed on your PC.
- Spywareguard – provides a real-time protection solution against spyware that is a great addition to SpywareBlaster’s protection method.
- WinPatrol – WinPatrol uses a heuristic approach to detecting attacks and violations of your computing environment. Traditional security programs scan your hard drive searching for previously identified threats. WinPatrol takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge.
Free Online Virus/Trojan/Spyware Scanners
- a² – Malware & Security checks. On the right, under Quicklinks.
- aumha.org – Internet Explorer (IE) parasite scan
- BitDefender – virus scanner
- CastleCops – several scans under “Tool Kit’, on the right, at the bottom of the page
- eTrust – Virus scanner – WhyBeNormal
- F-Secure – virus scanner
- HouseCall – virus scanner
- HouseCall – Europe – virus scanner – Does not require the use of ActiveX controls. Uses Java instead.
- Jotti’s scan – submit files to be scanned by multiple (14) scanners (AntiVir, ArcaVir, Avast, AVG, BitDefender, ClamAV, Dr.Web, Fortinet, F-Prot Antivirus, Kaspersky Anti-Virus, NOD32, Norman Virus Control, UNA and VBA32)
- kephyr.com – PopUp Killer Test
- McAfee – virus, security and Wi-Fi scanners
- PandaSoftware – virus scanner
- PC Pitstop – several scans, on the left
- RAV – virus scanner
- SpywareGuide – spyware scanner, on the left, under “Our Online Tools”
- SpywareInfo – spyware scanner, on the left, under “Site Navigation”
- Sygate – several different scans on the left
- Symantec.com – virus & security scanners
- Webroot Spy Audit – Spyware scanner. It will not remove or modify any files.
- WindowSecurity – trojan scanner
Specific Virus Removal Tools – if you know what Virus you have, try here.
- CleanUp! – a powerful and easy-to-use application that removes temporary files created while surfing the web, empties the Recycle Bin, deletes files from your temporary folders and more. – WhyBeNormal
- Core Control – a full featured advanced security program, designed for Windows 95/98/ME Operating Systems. – acklan
- Cryptainer LE – A really simple to use encryption tool that creates an invisible, password protected folder on your hard drive or other media. Free version limited to 25MB.Cryptainer LE’s encryption works with all 32 bit versions of Microsoft Windows (95/98/ME/2000/XP/2003 Server) and with all known file types.
- Eraser – an advanced security tool (for Windows), which allows you to completely remove sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it several times with carefully selected patterns. – jgweed
- EULAlyzer – can analyze license agreements in seconds, and provide a detailed listing of potentially interesting words and phrases. Discover if the software you’re about to install displays pop-up ads, transmits personally identifiable information, uses unique identifiers to track you, or much much more. – Wink
- Hide & Protect any Drives – Hide or restrict access to any drives such as Hard drive, CD, DVD, floppy and flash, and deny access to partitions of your hard drives. (This is an older version that is still freeware. The newer version isn’t free.)
- iProtectYou – allows parents to control which web sites can be visited, which programs can have Internet access, block e-mails, chat sessions and instant messages with inappropriate words, stop annoying ads, and/or restrict internet time to a predetermined schedule. – acklan
- MaxCrypt – an automated computer encryption tool that protects your PC. –
- SiteAdvisor’s Plug-in for Internet Explorer – installs a small button on your Internet Explorer browser. The button changes colors as you browse the Web based on the results of our safety tests. You can also click on the button’s menu to see the site’s detailed test results.
Hard Drive & System Utilites
- Belarc Advisor – builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, including Microsoft Hotfixes, and displays the results in your Web browser. – Ronbo
- Cobian Backup – a multi-threaded program that can be used to schedule and backup your files and directories from their original location to other directories/drives in the same computer or other computer in your network. – usasma
- CoolMon 2 – a program for monitoring vital system stats and almost anything else you wish to display on the desktop. – nosnhoj#3
- CPU-Z – gathers information on some of the main devices of your system; CPU, Mainboard, Memory, and System. – Rimmer
- Digital Dolly – hard-disk-partition, image, and cloning software that runs completely from a bootable CD-ROM. – acklan
- EVEREST Home Edition – a freeware system information, system diagnostics and benchmarking solution for home PC users. Similar to Belarc, but much more comprehensive. – Herk
- Memtest86 – a thorough, stand alone memory test for x86 architecture computers. – boopme
- MicroSoft’s Memory Test – tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. – acklan
- PC INSPECTOR – a data recovery program that supports the FAT 12/16/32 and NTFS file systems. – usasma
- Quick Access InfoBar – Get the latest definitions and exhaustive advice on all the processes running in the Windows Task Manager. – Quick Access InfoBar
- Ranish Partition Manager – Partition resizer, create, manager similar to Partition Magic but free!
- SequoiaView – an excellent utility to help you figure out what is taking up so much space on your hard drive.
- SIW – This program performs computer configuration, analysis, and diagnostics. (Similar to Everest)
- SpeedFan – monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chips.
- SyncBack Freeware – backup and synchronization software
- System Spec – lets you can see, save and print a complete spec of your PC with this no-install, system information utility and perform various windows functions. Additional advanced info includes CPU, drives, apps, display, memory and more.
- What’s Running – a product that gives you an inside look into your Windows 2000/XP/2003 system. Explore processes, services, modules, IP-connections, drivers and much more.
- WinAudit – a self-contained (no setup required) PC audit, and inventory of software, licenses, security configuration, hardware, network settings
- Avant Browser – based on the Internet Explorer browser engine.
- Firefox – a highly customizable web browser, with tabbed browsing
- Maxthon Internet Browser – tabbed browser with a highly customizable interface. It is based on the Internet Explorer browser engine.
- Mozilla – ” Web-browser built for 2004, advanced e-mail and newsgroup client, IRC chat client, and HTML editing made simple — all your Internet needs in one application–Mozilla.”
- Netscape – Includes a browser, email client, and html composer
Email Clients & Tools
- ePrompter – automatically and simultaneously checks and retrieves your e-mail messages from up to 16 password-protected e-mail accounts. It not only lets you compose, forward, and reply to your retrieved messages, but also gives you the ability to delete unwanted spam or suspicious-looking mail without having to launch your e-mail program or having to go to your Web mail’s site.
- Eudora – Free mail client but is ad sponsored. ( Eudora has a lite version available… just download the current version, and if you can live without the spellchecker, you dont have to live with the ad screen, being there. Go to the help menu, after installing, and select “payment and registration”. Then select “lite mode”, and it will ask if you can live without all of the extras, just click on “reduce features” – rexifelis)
- Pegasus Mail – Bizrus
- SpamBayes – anti-spam filter
- Thunderbird – Open Source email client.
- OE Quick Backup – Backup Outlook Express mailboxes, settings, mail rules, etc.
Spell Checker & Dictionary
- IESpell – A spelling checker for Internet Explorer. Works like the spell checker in M$ Office, right click and select Check Spelling.
- Magical Jellybean Dictionary – a freeware dictionary client for Windows 9x/ME/2000/XP, that connects to a dictionary server, and retrieves the definition from a database on the server.
- tinySpell – easily and quickly check the spelling of words in any Windows application. Monitors your typing on the fly, and alerts you whenever it detects a misspelled word. It also checks the spelling of every word you copy to the clipboard.
- Word Web – a comprehensive English thesaurus and dictionary, that can be used to look up words from within most programs.
- Audacity – a free audio editor.
- dBpowerAMP Audio Player – “dAP plays Mp3s, WMA, Ogg Vorbis, Monkeys Audio, Real Audio, Wave and Midi, and many more”
- foobar2000 – an advanced audio player for the Windows platform.
- iTunes – Music Player, Organizer, Tag Editor and online store. Only works with Windows XP. – Phawgg with clarifications from Jeservices
- K-Lite Codec Pack – a software bundle which includes the K-Lite Codec Pack Full, QuickTime Alternative, Real Alternative and BSplayer.
- Media Player Classic – The application has the same look and feel as the old light-weight Windows Media Player 6.4, but is a completely different application which has all the options and features one might expect from a modern media player. (Media Player Classic comes bundled with Real Alternative, so if you’d like both, just get RA)
- Mp3Decode – a real handy app to have in your Send To menu, it simply converts MP3 into WAV, quick and lightweight.
- mp3DirectCut – a fast and extensive audio editor and recorder for MP3.
- Real Alternative – designed for playing RealMedia files, which normally require Real Player
- QuickTime Alternative – will allow you to play QuickTime files (.mov, .qt and other extensions) without having to install the official QuickTime Player. It also supports QuickTime content that is embedded in webpages.
Thanks to fatguysmart