The most-shared video clip in the world!
November 29, 2006
‘Star Wars Kid’ most-shared vid
TORONTO (CP) – The most-shared video clip in the world is apparently that of a 15-year-old Quebec teen known as the “Star Wars Kid.”
If the above clip is not viewable, try clicking on any of these links:
An Internet study conducted by the British firm the Viral Factory found that the clip of Ghyslain Raza wildly swing a golf ball retriever as though it were a light sabre was forwarded an estimated 900 million times.
In tracking the spread of online videos, the firm found that a clip of the Trois-Rivieres teen was spread more frequently than even Paris Hilton’s infamous sex tape, which took third place with an estimated 400 million viewers.
Second place was taken by another teen, 19-year-old Gary Bolsma, who 700 million people spotted singing along to a Romanian pop song.
The “Star Wars” clip has caused nothing but grief for Raza.
He tried to sue the fathers of three former Grade 11 students who allegedly posted the video online in 2003, but settled out of court earlier this year.
Other top rated videos include “Trojan Games,” a U.S.-condom ad that used real Olympic athletes to stage a sexy fictional championship and “The Shining Redux,” an award-winning short film that puts a happy ending on the classic horror film.
List of most-shared online videos
A British Internet tracking firm, UKTV G2, has compiled a list of the most-shared online videos. The top 10:
1. Star Wars Kid (900 million views): 15-year-old Ghislain Raza enacts a light-sabre fight, waving a golf-ball retriever in place of the Jedi weapon.
2. Numa Numa (700 million views): 19-year-old Gary Brolsma, also known as “Numa Numa,” lip-synchs to a Romanian pop hit.
3. One Night in Paris (400 million views, contains very explicit content):
Hotel heiress Paris Hilton in a now notorious sex-romp with then-boyfriend Rick Solomon
4. Kylie Minogue – Agent Provocateur (360 million views, contains explicit content): Pop singer Kylie Minogue gyrates through a raunchy lingerie ad for company Agent Provocateur.
5. The Exploding Whale (350 million views): A dead whale is blown to bits by dynamite.
6. John West Salmon Bear Fight (300 million views): A man battles a bear for salmon at riverside.
7. Trojan Games (300 million views, explicit content): A U.S. condom ad depicts Olympic athletes in a fictional sex championship.
8. Kolla2001 (200 million views): Footage of young dancers from an L.A.-based talent show, “Kollaboration 2001.”
9. AfroNinja (80 million views): An attempted backflip by a would-be ninja goes wrong.
10. The Shining Redux (50 million views): A short film that reworks footage of the classic horror film to give it a happy ending.